×

A slice of Negley’s history remembered

Editor’s note

Lt. Col. Patrick H. Hannum, USMC (Ret), is an associate professor at the Joint Forces Staff College, National Defense University. A native of Negley, he obtained the accompanying photographs when his mother died earlier this year at the age of 99.

This year marks the 150th anniversary of the end of the American Civil War and the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II.

The village of Negley, like many American communities, has historical ties to both of these important events that molded the American character.

The village of Negley derives its name from a Union Civil War Major General of Volunteers, James Scott Negley, who hailed from Pittsburgh. After the Civil War, Negley returned to Pittsburgh, served in the United States Congress and entered the railroad business. In 1883 the first new town plotted along the New York Pittsburgh and Chicago Railway line was Negley, Ohio, named in honor of the president of the railroad company.

Negley grew into a thriving village and World War II made a major impact on the community and the surrounding area, Middleton Township, as many young men went off to war to help defeat the Axis powers in North Africa, Europe and across the vast Pacific Theater.

The community rallied around these men and erected a monument to honor their service. Made of wood the monument failed to endure the test of time but photographic images remain to capture the significance of the community recognition and record some of the names of the men who went off to war.

These men served in the Army, Army Air Corps, Navy, and Marine Corps. They served in units engaged in epic struggles with determined enemies in operations students now read about in their history books including: Watchtower, Torch, Overlord and Iceberg. These operations and others involved intense combat operations in locations around the globe in locations like: Guadalcanal, North Africa, France, Germany, the Philippines and Okinawa.

The generation of men whose names appeared on the Honor Roll have all passed away. Based on available records, the last of these veterans to leave us was Don W. Dickey in January 2015. These men were part of the “Greatest Generation” and it appropriate that those who benefit from their unselfish service should take a few minutes to read their names to recognize their sacrifices.

The photograph displaying the Honor Roll with just two panels likely dates from the spring of 1942 when the Honor Roll was dedicated. The men whose names appear on the photograph of the Honor Roll with four panels were inducted into the service of the United States in September 1942 or earlier. This photograph is dated October 18, 1942. Legible names on the October 18, 1942 photograph include:

Arthur, James W.

Bica, Emil

Bowles, Don D.

Boyles, Harold

Burson, Harry F.

Bye, Frank M.

Carney, Edward L.

Cope, Lester

Dickey, Don W.

Dunn, Robert, L.

Dyke, Kenneth B.

Dyke, Raymond W.

Dyke, Richard H.

Dyke, Wilber E.

Evans, Paul E.

Faulk, John O.

Feldstein, George H.

Filippini, Casire T.

Gorby, Raymond H.

Guy, Charles F.

Hannum, Zoe

Hays, Clarence R.

Haupt, Eugene W.

Hutson, William I.

Jenkins, Wade W.

Lambright, Eugene C.

Mackall, Donald C.

Mackall, Ronald B.

Mackall, Wayne A.

Mahon, Bernard Y

Mahon, Burdell W.

Mahon, Milton

McCoy, Albert

McCoy, Dallas

McCoy, Fidellis

McCoy, Gerald E.

Noel, Raymond

Pierce, ? Holland

Pierce, Cleaver

Pierce, James

Riley, Francis

Risinger, Frank

Rogers, Zagonia

Rosenbaum, Herbert

Scott, John R.

Shafer, Nelson S.

Shaw, Orval, R

Shaw, Edward P.

Smith, Daniel J.

Wentz, Stanford

Wilson, Lloyd V.

Wolf, Clarence

Young, John F.

Zoppetti, Joseph A.

Fifty-four of the 55 names on the Honor Roll are reasonably legible on the photograph. Based on research of surviving records, at least 34 of the men listed served in the U.S. Army with the remainder serving in the Army Air Corps, Navy and Marine Corps. All but two of the men were inducted into the service in Ohio at Akron, Cleveland, Columbus and Camp Perry, but several of the men were inducted in Pennsylvania. They ranged in age from 16 to 39 but most were in their early to mid-20s. Their occupations were quite varied; they included farmers, laborers, steel workers, truck drivers, clay and coal miners and several office workers.

The Honor Roll was located on the south side of state Route 154, at the crest of the hill marked by the current address of 50755-65 Richardson Ave. A two-story home sits just to the east and an open lot and hill side to the west.

The Honor Roll survived into the decade of the 1960s before deterioration by nature led to its removal.