East Palestine board honors former educators
EAST PALESTINE – Tom Inchak, the school district’s former superintendent, watched as the man hired to take his place led the board meeting this week.
Inchak retired from the district in December of 2011 and was replaced by George Fisk last year.
He was one of many at this week’s meeting who have retired over the last two school years. Another former administrator was Gary Contini, who has 40 years with the district.
Contini spent most of his career as high school principal and retired once from the district 10 years ago, although he remained on staff. He was reassigned to the special education and state programs director position last year and opted to retire once the contract ended.
Inchak and Contini said they are enjoying retirement and continue to be involved in the area. Inchak is working part-time elsewhere and said he spends his free time with his grandchildren.
They were two of 21 people honored during the board meeting and all received commemorative plaques.
Other retirees were Nancy Reeves, Sharen Oswald, Karen Cyrus, Greg Aker, Marta Aker, Greg Reeves, Carol Bollinger, Priscilla Welsh, Shelly Zeh, Pam Michaylo, Jill McGee, Doug Silhanek, Rick Jackson, Lenny Black, Jeff Richardson, Larry Justison, Jim Stanyard, Shirley Birnesser and John Ferko.
The retirements have had a positive financial impact on the district, according to the updated five-year forecast prepared by Treasurer Rick Ellis.
Ellis said in the report the retirements have allowed the district to continue operating without reducing staff. Pay freezes taken by staff the last two years have also helped.
The district is expected to operate with a positive cash balance until 2016, when a $526,844 deficit is projected. It is losing more than $1 million to open enrollment and community schools, Ellis noted in the report.
The board approved the updated forecast, along with the following agenda items:
– The resignation of Zack Macioce as assistant football coach for the 2013-14 school year.
– The resignations of Pamela Michaylo and Shelly Zeh, elementary art teachers.
– Non-renewing spring athletic and general yearlong supplemental contracts for the 2013-14 school year.
– Marylee Huston, Karen Walsh and Kathy Davis as classified substitutes and Heather Beitz as certified substitute.
– Thirteen people as summer seasonal employees at a rate of $7.70 per hour.
– Jen Albert as athletic department employee for the 2012-13 spring sports season.
– Maternity leave and leave of absence for Jeannette Haus for the 2013-14 school year. She will return for the 2014-15 school year.
– Columbiana sixth-grader Cameron Boots as open enrollment student for the 2012-13 school year.
– Sixteen people as band camp chaperones for the camp at Thiel College July 21-26.
– The high school course selection and registration guide for the 2013-14 school year. Changes concern honor classes, with some listed pass/fail and some electives graded.
– Membership into the Ohio High School Athletic Association for the 2013-14 school year.