SPORTS BRIEFING
Pirates call up Griffin
PITTSBURGH (AP) — The Konnor Griffin Era will begin this afternoon in Pittsburgh.
A person familiar with the decision has told The Associated Press that the Pirates are calling up the 19-year-old shortstop, the consensus choice as the top prospect in baseball, before Friday’s home opener against the Baltimore Orioles.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the roster move was not yet official.
The club tipped its hand on Thursday, featuring Griffin on various social media platforms, including an Instagram post featuring pictures of Griffin at PNC Park and included the caption “KG has arrived in Pittsburgh.”
The Pirates also created room for Griffin on the roster early Thursday evening, optioning outfielder Billy Cook to Triple-A Indianapolis. Griffin is expected to address reporters on Friday morning at the ballpark where the club hopes Griffin can be a lineup fixture for years to come and the team’s most consequential position player since former centerfielder Andrew McCutchen, who won the 2013 NL MVP and helped guide Pittsburgh to three straight playoff berths from 2013-15.
The question when the season started last week wasn’t if Griffin would make his big-league debut this year, but when. The answer turned out to be “not very long” after Griffin hit .438 (7 for 16) with three doubles, an RBI and three stolen bases at Triple-A Indianapolis.
The 6-foot-3 Griffin, taken with the ninth overall pick in the 2024 first-year player draft, has rocketed through Pittsburgh’s farm system. He batted .333 with 21 home runs, 94 RBIs and 65 stolen bases in 122 combined games between Single-A and Double-A in 2025.
Griffin earned an invitation to Pittsburgh’s big-league camp and was among the last cuts before the opening day roster was set. While he showcased his power by smashing three home runs during Grapefruit League play — the most by a teenager in spring training in at least two decades — he also struck out more than a dozen times.
The Pirates broke camp with Jared Triolo at shortstop and Nick Gonzales at third. The addition of Griffin likely means Triolo — a Gold Glove winner as a utility player — will head to third.
While Pittsburgh has been in talks with Griffin about a lengthy contract extension that would in essence buy out his arbitration years in advance, the person told the AP the decision to call him up was not dependent on an agreement being reached. The person said Griffin is coming to Pittsburgh because he’s the franchise’s best option at short.
The Pirates would benefit if any agreement with Griffin is not finalized until after he plays. The team would stay eligible to receive an extra draft pick through the Prospect Promotion Incentive if it waits until after Griffin’s debut to sign him to an extension.
To receive the pick — which would come at the end of the first round — Griffin would need to accrue one year of service time as a rookie and either win the NL Rookie of the Year or be a finalist for NL MVP.
The Pirates have invested heavily in the draft since general manager Ben Cherington joined the club in late 2019. Pittsburgh already has the highest signing bonus pool ($19.13 million) in the majors available for the 2026 draft.
Griffin will be joining a team off to a 3-3 start after taking two of three in Cincinnati. The Pirates are anchored by one of the best young starting rotations in the majors, led by reigning Cy Young winner Paul Skenes, who picked up his first victory of the season on Wednesday.
Pittsburgh upgraded its woeful offense in the offseason, trading for All-Star second baseman Brandon Lowe and signing first baseman/outfielder Ryan O’Hearn and designated hitter Marcell Ozuna in free agency. Lowe already has three homers this season for the Pirates, whose 10 home runs through six games are tied with the Los Angeles Angels for most in the majors. Pittsburgh finished dead last in homers by a wide margin last season.
Sleeping through his alarm
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City catcher Carter Jensen was removed from the Royals’ starting lineup for Thursday game with the Minnesota Twins after he overslept.
“I didn’t wake up to my alarm. Slept through it,” Jensen told The Kansas City Star and other outlets. “Don’t really have an excuse — nor should I. It sucks. It happens. I feel like I let teammates down, coaches down. Just learn from it and just know it won’t happen again.”
Jensen eventually arrived, but not early enough to prepare adequately to start the game. He did end up coming in as Kansas City’s catcher in the ninth inning of the Royals’ 5-1 loss.
Salvador Perez, who was expecting to be Kansas City’s designated hitter Thursday, ended up catching the first eight innings.
“First and foremost, I’m glad Carter’s OK,” Royals first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino told reporters. “I mean, that was kind of the initial thought when you’re trying to get a hold of his parents and everything like that — just make sure he’s OK.”
Pasquantino said Jensen, a 22-year-old rookie, needs to learn from this experience.
“There are some things that cannot happen, and that’s one of them,” Pasquantino said. “So he’s going to have to wear it on the chin — same way anybody would have to. It can’t happen, and hopefully it doesn’t happen again. But it’s one of those things that you just can’t afford mistakes like that in this game. Just got to move forward the best that he can. I know he feels really bad.
“I know it was not his favorite drive to the field this morning, but it wasn’t our favorite morning either, trying to figure out what was going on. He’ll learn from it, grow a little bit. We’re here for him, though. It’s not like anybody’s mad at him. Things happen. But you’ve got to learn from mistakes like that — and maybe get another alarm clock or something.”
Louisville blanks Branch
LOUISVILLE — A veteran Louisville boys tennis team didn’t drop a set in downing West Branch, 5-0, Thursday.
West Branch (2-1) will host Salem at 4 p.m. Thursday, April 9.
Louisville 5, West Branch 0
FIRST SINGLES: Gabe Stoffer (L) def. Austin Hawk, 6-3, 6-0.
SECOND SINGLES: Chase Duskey (L) def. Jeremy Ausgustein, 6-1, 6-0.
THIRD SINGLES: Peyton Eyler (L) def. Connor Loper, 6-0, 6-1.
FIRST DOUBLES: Logan Demos-Justice Allman (L) def. Blake Robbins-Cameron McCartney, 6-3, 6-2.
SECOND DOUBLES: Collin Leatherberry-Trent Beard (L) def. Mason Cosma-Everett Zippay, 6-0, 6-0.
Potters fall at home
EAST LIVERPOOL — East Liverpool’s boys tennis team suffered a 3-2 setback against Indian Creek on Thursday.
East Liverpool (1-1) will host Cambridge Saturday.
Indian Creek 3, East Liverpool 2
FIRST SINGLES: Brady Dawson (EL) def. Jacob Cosby 6-1, 6-4.
SECOND SINGLES: Garrett Cooper (EL) def. Sam Doera 6-0, 6-0.
THIRD SINGLES: Rowan Stokes (EL) lost to Bo Paulman 5-7, 3-6.
FIRST DOUBLES: Andrew Dalton-Logan Cornell (EL) lost to Wyatt Doan-Damian Bruno 2-6, 1-6.
SECOND DOUBLES: Jude Brown-Hunter Estell (EL) lost to Gabe Kurm-William Kelly 1-6, 2-6.



