EP man charged with email threat against DeWine
LISBON — An East Palestine man who allegedly sent a threatening email to Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine last week is facing a pretrial Aug. 15 in Columbiana County Municipal Court for telecommunications harassment.
Anthony Kelly, 33, Wood Street, appeared for arraignment Thursday on the misdemeanor charge and was ordered to have no contact with the governor’s office or other public official unless it’s an emergency.
The email was allegedly sent June 7 by way of the official website for the governor’s Constituent Affairs Office for the state of Ohio. A complaint filed by the Ohio State Highway Patrol said in the email, a threat was implied by way of hanging the governor.
According to an affidavit filed with the court by the investigating patrol officer, in the email, Kelly allegedly indicated he previously sent a death threat to the governor a year ago, which the investigator remembered. The threat had been made in May 2020 and was adjudicated through Franklin County Municipal Court.
Kelly allegedly indicated he had sent several emails to DeWine via the website and none had been answered so he felt the need to get the governor’s attention and improve his chances of getting a response.
The latest email also contained numerous expletives and the investigator indicated in the affidavit that he told Kelly that he can’t threaten, harass or imply a threat to the governor and that “he can’t attempt to contact the governor again while using similar, hostile wording.”
According to online Franklin County Municipal Court records, Kelly pleaded guilty in October 2020 to a charge of menacing, amended from telecommunications harassment, and was fined $100.