LISBON - Five more permits are being sought to drill for shale gas in Columbiana County, bringing the total to 38 over the past two years.
According to information from the county engineer's office, the following permit applications were filed with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources over the past several weeks:
- Unity Township: Dalton unit, which is accessible from New Waterford Road and state Route 14. The applicant is SWELPI LP (formerly Shell Western E&P Inc.).
- Hanover Township: Hays Trust unit, which is accessible from Speidel and Zeigler roads. The applicant is Chesapeake Exploration.
- Center Township: Andrulis unit, which is accessible from Lisbon-Dungannon Road. The applicant is Chesapeake Exploration.
- Knox Township: Kibler unit, which is accessible from Knox School Road. The applicant is Chesapeake Exploration.
- Salem Township: Riffle unit, which is accessible from Longs Crossing Road. Chesapeake Exploration is the applicant.
All of the permits sought to date have been approved by ODNR, with the approval period averaging about a month.
The following is the list of drilling permits by township: Butler, 4; Center, 2; Elkrun, 4; Fairfield, 2; Franklin, 2; Hanover, 7; Knox, 4; Madison, 2; Middleton, 4; Salem, 1; Unity, 2; Washington, 2; West, 2.
The following is a list of unpermitted sites under development based on road-use maintenance agreements filed with the engineer's office. Permits have yet to be sought for these sites:
-Elkrun Township: Johnston unit, accessible from Riffle and Pine Hollow roads.
-Salem Township: Gologram unit, accessible from Grafton Road; and Roy D unit, accessible from Depot and Winona roads.
-Center Township: Mrugala unit, accessible from Depot and Teegarden roads.
- Middleton Township: Hays unit, accessible from Vale Road.
- Madison Township: Amato unit, accessible from McCormick Run Road.