Fire Calls


— Firefighters were called at 8:15 p.m. Monday to the 1100 block of South Lincoln Avenue for a transformer arcing, discovering that a squirrel caused the arc which popped the fuse on the power line. Ohio Edison was advised.

— Firefighters determined that shop rags in a plastic bag ignited due to spontaneous combustion, causing a structure fire in the 800 block of East Fifth Street early Friday. A resident called at 3:55 a.m. to report smoke inside the two-story home and smoke was showing when the department arrived. Fire was found in a crawl space at the rear of the structure under the bathroom area and extinguished. The floor was opened up with a chainsaw to check for extension and the origin of the fire was found at the junction of the sill plate and floor joist, where a plastic bag of shop rags were located partially consumed by fire. The shop rags had an odor of petroleum-based product. Firefighters cleared the scene at 4:43 a.m. Friday.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $4.61/week.

Subscribe Today