EL crews extinguish house fire despite nonfunctioning hydrant

EAST LIVERPOOL — An early Sunday morning blaze forced a family of six out of their home. According to an East Liverpool fire report, crews responded to 151 Maine Boulevard shortly after 6:30 a.m. Dispatchers received a call about residents smelling smoke, which was emitting from the eaves of the second story.

After making entry, crews discovered heavy fire in the knee wall of that second story. They called out a second alarm to bring additional firefighters to the scene, extinguishing the blaze and overhauling the entire second floor of the structure.

The American Red Cross was called for the occupants, and no injuries were reported.

The Columbiana County auditor’s record confirms that the owners of the three-bedroom, two-and-a-half bathroom single-family dwelling are Gary and Bonnie LeMasters, who did have homeowners’ insurance. The property had just been reappraised at $40,800 for improvements in October.

The home’s occupants did not have renters’ insurance.

The report also estimates damages at $70,000, including $20,000 for the structure’s contents.

Assistant Chief Jason Glista notes that it appears that the fire was electrical, and a fire hydrant could not be utilized as it was not functional.