East Palestine

— Police conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle on North Market Street near Sumner Street at 10 p.m. Tuesday. K-9 Toney was requested to do a sniff on the vehicle and ultimately showed a positive indication of narcotic odor. Police then searched the vehicle and found a small plastic bag containing marijuana. Jacob Ward, 21, of New Waterford, was cited for possession of marijuana and is scheduled to appear in county municipal court.

— Police were called to a Carbon Hill Road home at 3:39 p.m. Tuesday for a welfare check on a man. Police spoke with the man who said that he needed to go to the hospital as he was thinking about harming himself. An ambulance was called to transport him.

— Police spoke with a man at 10:36 a.m. Tuesday who said that while at the hospital he asked that his daughter collect some items from his room at Covington on Hunston Road including his wallet so that he could pay some bills and that upon returning he discovered some unauthorized debits from his account. He contacted police after being unable to reach his daughter to get his property back, however, she contacted him to let him know she was bringing it back that day. The man then reported that he no longer needed police help.

— An anonymous caller reported at 8:45 p.m. Monday a brown dog was loose near a home on West North Avenue hear Western Avenue. Police checked the area but did not find the dog. A neighboring dog was located in a backyard of the home but was maintained by the owner. Police spoke with the reported resident who was accused by the caller to have a loose dog running at large. The resident told police that her dogs were accounted for.

— Police came across an intoxicated man walking along East Main Street at 10:50 p.m. Sunday who claimed to have been injured. Police took the man to his home and turned him over to a family member.

— Police were called to the area of East Taggart Street near the Eagle’s at 8:33 p.m. Sunday for a report that an elderly woman was walking trying to hitch hike and seemed to be confused. Police checked the area and surrounding area but did not find anyone matching the description.

— A Bacon Avenue resident reported at 2:40 p.m. Sunday a sick groundhog was just outside her home and would not move. Police checked the animal and found that it did appear to be sick and was acting strangely. Police then euthanized the groundhog.

— Police were called to 100 Covington Lane at 5:54 p.m. Saturday for a reported altercation between two residents. Police spoke with several staff members and determined there was no altercation that had occurred and it was a misunderstanding.

— A West High Street man reported at 2:20 p.m. Friday his trash container had been stolen.

— Police were called to a North Walnut Street home at 11:15 a.m. Friday for a report of a deceased man. The matter remains under investigation.

— Police were called to the area behind Huntington Bank at 10:59 p.m. Friday for a woman who struck a telephone while backing her vehicle. No injuries were reported and the only damage was to the woman’s vehicle.


— Clayton Hawke was found by police at his home off of Salineville Road West on Wednesday. Hawke has a warrant from Sandusky County and a history of resisting arrest so police requested assistance from the sheriff’s office. He willingly was taken to the county jail.


— Tricia Watson, 35, whose last known address was East Fourth Street, was taken into custody on an active warrant for failure to appear on a criminal damaging charge after police responded to the East Fourth Street address for a followup investigation at 4:15 a.m. Thursday. She was located, detained and taken for booking to the police station where she said she felt faint and in pain. Fire department first responders and KLG ambulance came to the scene and took Watson to Salem Regional Medical Center. Upon her release, police took her back into custody and transported her to the Columbiana County jail.

— An officer at 3:08 a.m. Thursday noticed an intoxicated female walking south on South Broadway near Pershing and stopped to talk to her. She said she was attempting to walk home to avoid legal trouble. She was given a courtesy ride to her boyfriend’s residence on East Fifth Street.

— Police investigated a suspicious vehicle at 1:56 a.m. Thursday in the 2900 block of East State Street. The male inside the vehicle said he was in town for the cruise and resting until morning.

— Joshua Lapin, 30, of 284 E. Fourth St., was taken into custody on a warrant for failure to appear on a criminal trespassing charge and was also cited for possession of drug paraphernalia after police responded to the residence for a followup investigation at 12:41 a.m. Thursday. Lapin was known to have a warrant and was arrested, then during a search of his person, officers seized suspected narcotics from his pocket. he was advised there could be additional charges once lab results are obtained for the suspected narcotics.

— Police were called at 11:14 p.m. Wednesday to the intersection of Lincoln and State for a report of juveniles playing catch across the street. They were told about the complaint and the potential dangers and were told of other places to play.

— Police responded at 9:02 p.m. Wednesday to the 1800 block of Cleveland Street for a 911 hangup call. Officers made contact with an elderly male at the residence who was nonverbal but appeared to need medical attention. First responders were called and he was taken to SRMC.

— A driver was issued a warning for a turn signal violation after a traffic stop at 8 p.m. Wednesday on East Third Street near North Union Avenue for multiple turn signal violations. K-9 Argo indicated to a narcotics odor coming from the vehicle. A probable cause search was conducted with nothing of significance located. A female passenger consented to a search of her purse but no contraband was recovered.

— Officers spoke to a woman at the police station at 7:04 p.m. Wednesday regarding harassment on West 16th Street. She was told her options.

— Officers responded at 5:21 p.m. Wednesday to the 700 block of North Ellsworth Avenue for a juvenile male playing outside unattended in his underwear. The juvenile was located and taken home where he was turned over to his mother who said she was sleeping. The report will be sent to Children Services.

— A man in the 400 block of Franklin reported at 3:07 p.m. Wednesday that a female who lives with him was causing problems. He was going to order food for other residents of the home and she started yelling and causing problems. She left and was walking down the alley. She told police she wasn’t the one causing problems and left after an argument. Both said no physical violence occurred and they were told to separate for the evening.

— A caller at 1:56 p.m. Wednesday reported a suspicious package was dropped off by FedEx at a vacant residence in the 1000 block of East Fourth Street. A neighbor told officers new owners were moving into the residence and it was their package.

— A man called police at 12:11 p.m. Wednesday about possible threats from his ex-wife’s husband. He said he received a long text message from the male and the male isn’t supposed to have contact with him. He said the male lives in Salem and he lives in Austintown. He was told to call Austintown Police.

— Police responded at 11:33 a.m. Wednesday to the 300 block of Rose Avenue for a resident having questions about her health care caseworker. She was told it’s not a police matter.

— A woman in the 800 block of East Sixth Street reported at 10:32 a.m. Wednesday that someone took four lawn chairs off of her property sometime after 9:30 a.m.

— An unattended juvenile was reported at 9 a.m. Wednesday in the 400 block of South Lundy Avenue. Officers found the juvenile and were able to locate the parent. The report will be sent to Children Services.


— Police were dispatched at 1 p.m. Thursday to the Leetonia laundromat on Columbia Street regarding a suspicious person asking for money. An officer spoke to a male who was on his cell phone and he assured that he was not asking for money from anyone. He showed his wallet which had cash inside and said he was waiting on a ride from a friend.

— An alarm was reported at 10:22 p.m. Wednesday at the Italian American Club on Main Street. All doors were secure and when a keyholder arrived, the rest of the building was checked with nothing out of order. The alarm was being reset.

— Police received a call at 2:13 p.m. Wednesday regarding a resident on Chestnut Street who was upset he was unable to get help from the mental health clinic in Lisbon. He wanted a couple of females to clean his apartment and was denied so he called 911. An officer checked on him to make sure he would not harm himself and he was fine.

— An alarm was reported at 12:19 p.m. Wednesday in the 100 block of Main Street. The house was checked and found secure.

— A resident in the 300 block of Washington reported a male soliciting without a permit, claiming he was with Brinks and AT&T. The person could not be found.

Fire calls


— Firefighters responded at 6:02 p.m. Wednesday to a cooking fire in the 1000 block of East Third Street where a tenant said there had been a kitchen fire and he thought the fire was extinguished, however, there was a large amount of smoke in the residence. An ambulance was deployed in case of smoke inhalation and upon arrival, firefighters found no smoke visible from the outside but there was still moderate smoke inside. A fan was used for ventilation. The burner on the stove apparently was accidentally turned on, causing a decorative piece of wood on the stove to catch fire. The piece of wood was taken outside by the tenant, who said he did not suffer smoke inhalation, so the ambulance was canceled. Burning embers on the stove were placed in a pan and extinguished with water. A smoke detector alerted the residents.

— Firefighters received a report at 2:38 p.m. Wednesday for a stove on fire in the 1200 block of Cleveland Street. There was no smoke or fire showing upon arrival. Occupants had evacuated the house and said the fire was coming from the bottom of the oven. Upon inspection, the fire was already out and appeared to be caused from burnt food from a previous cooking event. The stove was pulled from the wall and gas was shut off from the unit. The owner was told to have the stove serviced before using it again.