County Sheriff

— An underage party was reported at a home on Forbes Road in Yellow Creek Township at 1:22 a.m. Sunday. Deputies checked the area, but did not locate any loud music or underage party.

— Stark County deputies asked a deputy to check in the area of the 200 block of Case Road, Knox Township at 12:35 a.m. Saturday for a Massillon man allegedly making suicidal threats. Deputies did not locate him.

— Deputies checked the area of Westville Lake Road for a suicidal man at 11:49 a.m. Saturday, but were unable to find someone matching the description.

— Deputies checked a home on Miller Road in Fairfield Township at 3:01 p.m. Saturday, where an alarm was sounding, but the home was found to be secure.

— Someone in the area of U.S. Route 30, Kensington, reported someone was yelling in the front yard of a home at 1:10 a.m. Sunday. Deputies checked the area and did not hear anyone or see anyone about. Deputies were unable to get anyone to answer the door.

— Corey Beck, Longs Crossing Road, Leetonia, reported at 1:01 p.m. Sunday he was driving his 2012 Ram pickup westbound on state Route 172 and turned northbound onto Spillway Road and eastbound into the Family Dollar parking lot. He entered the parking area and cut the wheels to the right, running off the driveway and into a very large stone sitting there to protect the well casing for the store. The truck continued forward, coming to rest with the right side of the truck up in the air and resting on top of the well casing, which sticks up out of the ground about two feet. Beck said neither he, nor his son who was with him, were injured. Baker Towing came and removed the vehicle off the well casing.

— Homeworth Sales and Service in Knox Township’s owner Dan Matz, Georgetown Road, Homeworth, reported at 7:51 a.m. Sunday when he returned to the business when it was closed on Saturday there were two Stihl chainsaws missing from the display. He thought another employee might have sold them, but when he checked the employee said the saws were not sold. On Sunday morning he came in to take care of the cat and saw someone had taken another 19 Stihl chainsaws, four Stihl backpack blowers, two Stihl weed trimmers and a Stihl hand held blower. Deputies attempted to check for prints on door handles, which had been bent downward keeping them from locking. There was one Stihl saw sitting nearby, which looked like it may had been left behind by the intruder. Additionally, impact wrenches were taken from a tool box and left on the bench near the door. The matter is under investigation.

Highway Patrol

— Charles Matthew Davis, 29, Wellsville, was southbound on state Route 7 in Madison Township at 11:17 a.m. Friday and went left of center off the left side into a ditch. He was cited for failure to control and OVI.

— Kenneth E. Engel, 52, New Waterford, was westbound on state Route 517 in Fairfield Township at 3:50 p.m. Sunday and went left of center off the left side into a tree. He was cited for failure to control.

— Mackenzie A. Strub, 23, East Liverpool, was westbound on U.S. 30 in Madison Township at 4:39 p.m. Sunday and went off the left side into a guardrail and overturned. She was cited for failure to control.

— Joshua Foster, 38, Minerva, was westbound on U.S. 30 in Hanover Township at 10 p.m. Feb. 10 and went off the right side int o a guardrail. He was cited for failure to control.

— Hayley A. Hurst, 17, Wellsville, was northbound on Forbes Road in Madison Township at 4:25 p.m. Sunday and went off the left side then off the right side into an embankment and off the left side again and into a tree. She was cited for failure to control and juvenile traffic offender.


— Police responded to a private property crash report at 225 East state Route 14 at 12:36 p.m. Monday. No citations were issued due to being on private property.

East Liverpool

— Sue and Bobby Weyand, Dewey Avenue, reported a kerosene torpedo heater stolen from their garage. The Weyands told police they had a person repairing the brakes on their vehicle in the garage and, when they checked the garage, the heater was gone.

Liverpool Township

— An officer responded to a LaCroft Avenue residence for a domestic dispute between Desiree Shriver and Justin M. Watkins, where officers had responded earlier in the evening by a passerby who said a female was being assaulted. During the earlier call, no fighting was reported. When the officer arrived to the second call, several people alleged Watkins had assaulted Shriver. The officer said he appeared intoxicated and became aggressive, arguing with him and the other occupants. Shriver said Watkins had shoved her to the ground. Watkins reportedly told the officer he wasn’t doing anything to him or arresting him and he did not have to provide any information. The officer called for assistance, and St. Clair Township officers responded, assisting him in arresting Watkins for disorderly conduct/intoxication as he reportedly continued yelling and cussing during processing. At the police station, he was reportedly found standing on the prisoner bench, trying to break the divider and trying to slide the handcuff shackle over the end of the bar. He was charged additionally with criminal damaging.

— Julie McShane, Campground Road, called to have her son removed from her home. She said he lives with her and has fits of rage, assaulting her. She was advised she will have to follow the eviction process since he lives there and also told her to report to police if an assault occurs. In another report, she said her son had misused her credit card, and that information was referred to the detective.

— Timothy Rhinestine, Fisher Avenue, reported he had been talking with a female online for the past few months and she informed him she was in the process of inheriting a few properties and needed $20,000 for the taxes. Rhinestine reported receiving a letter from someone alleging to be an attorney who corroborated what the female was telling him. He then checked and found his address for his bank account and Social Security had been changed to her address. He contacted both and had them changed back. Rhinestine was advised this was a scam.

St. Clair Township

— Officers responded to the Quality Inn in Calcutta for reports of an unresponsive female and reported finding Shelley L. Swigert, 45, Kinsey Avenue, East Liverpool, on the floor of a motel room, unresponsive and turning blue, taking small breaths, with her boyfriend, Wayne Burcham, 52, performing CPR. Burcham told officers he went to his car and returned to find Swigert lying unresponsive on the floor. He told them she has a long history of drug abuse and used to shoot up and snort heroin. Officers searched the room and reported finding several unidentified pills and Bic pen with white powder inside and Patrolman Keith Hilderbrand reported finding a white substance on his pant leg from kneeling on the floor, at which time he asked Burcham if he was being honest about everything and whether he had moved anything prior to their arrival. Burcham reportedly told officers he didn’t move anything but that Swigert was using heroin again. Lifeteam ambulance had arrived and administered 10 doses of Narcan to revive Swigert, who denied taking any illegal narcotics, saying she did not remember anything. She was transported to the hospital, where a detainer was placed on her with a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia pending. She was also issued an overdose immunity form.

— Robert G. McKinnon, state Route 267, reported a gray or silver vehicle went off the roadway, striking his mailbox and traveling into his yard, slinging mud onto his house before fleeing the scene.

— While on patrol, an officer initiated a traffic stop on McGuffey Drive for a license plate infraction. He driver, Anthony Dillow had a suspended driver’s license. The officer reported smelling the odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle but both Dillow and his passenger, Wilbert E. Faulk, 33, denied there being anything illegal inside. Once they were asked to exit the car, Faulk reportedly said he had two bags of marijuana, which the officer retrieved from his pockets. Faulk was charged with possession of marijuana and Dillow with failure to reinstate and improper registration. Calcutta Towing towed the vehicle.

— After stopping a vehicle with no front license plate on state Route 170, officers reported the driver, James Hurst, also had no driver’s license and they detected the odor of marijuana from the vehicle. Hurst reportedly admitted to having a small bag of marijuana and a pipe, both of which were found in the vehicle. He was charged with no operator’s license, improper display, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.

— Tiffany Woolley, East Liverpool Road, reported having child custody issues with her husband and said she was advised by Children’s Services to file a police report.

— William Vervin, no address listed, reported he believes two people were selling his stolen property at Cashland. Officers will view surveillance video.


— Police responded at 4:37 a.m. Tuesday to a business on South Ellsworth Avenue to speak with a victim who reported the rear driver side window of her vehicle had been damaged. A coworker told her about the damage when she arrived at work, but she recalled hearing some sort of firearm being fired at some point during the night in the 100 block of West Fifth Street. An officer checked the damage and it appeared to possibly be from a pellet gun.

— Police were called at 4:13 a.m. Tuesday to the 500 block of East Third Street for a medical call at the request of the fire department, assisting first responders until EMT arrived to care for the patient.

— Police responded to a laundromat in the 900 block of West State Street for a report at 12:48 a.m. Tuesday of an abandoned dog. Officers spoke to the caretaker and advised her that due to an online post, the owner was able to locate the dog. Officers transported the dog to the humane officer’s residence to be later retrieved.

— A woman in the 200 block of West Pershing Street reported at 10:39 p.m. Monday that a person stole three baseball caps from her residence. Officers located the suspect and advised her of the complaint, searching her backpack after gaining her consent. Police did not locate the stolen items.

— Police responded at 9:38 p.m. Monday to the 900 block of Franklin Avenue for an unruly juvenile. The mother said the juvenile was acting out and being extremely disrespectful. The juvenile told police he did not want to live with his mother anymore and wanted to live with his father. The mother explained the court document to the officer who told the juvenile to comply with his mother. She was told her options for a juvenile proceeding.

— A dog was reported at large near South Lundy and Aetna at 9:17 p.m. Monday, but was not found.

— A man from Salineville called at 8:58 p.m. Monday to report a vehicle followed him into the city and had been following him from Warren. He was instructed to come to the police department and after he did, officers made contact with the other driver who also stopped. He told police he believed his wife had gotten into the van in Warren and he wanted to catch her coming out of the van because they are currently going through a divorce. Police received permission to look into the van and concluded the person’s wife was not inside. The man who called police was sent on his way and the other driver was spoken to about his actions.

— A domestic dispute was reported at 6:34 p.m. Monday in the 1200 block of East Fourth Street where a male said the female left. Police made contact with her at a nearby residence. The male said she took his cell phone which prompted him to take her cell phone during an argument. She just wanted to leave and got a ride to a family member’s home.

— Police were called at 6:32 p.m. Monday to the 700 block of East Fourth Street to check the well-being of an elderly female who was outside in pajamas and slippers. No one was located.

— Police were called at 5:49 p.m. Monday to GetGo, 2345 E. State St., where it was reported an unknown male stole a bottle of washer fluid and left in a white Ford. The vehicle was not found.

— A well-being check was requested at 4:33 p.m. Monday in the 200 block of South Lincoln Avenue for a person who did not show up for work. The person was found to be ok.

— A man asked police at 1:50 p.m. Monday to check on his trailer in the 1200 block of North Lincoln Avnue. He feared it may have been tampered with, but officers found it locked.

— A civil matter was reported at 12:11 p.m. Monday in the 1400 block of Eastview Drive where a man said his girlfriend passed away and her sister says she’s entitled to all of his girlfriend’s personal items. Officers told him to contact an attorney. Police don’t get involved in civil matters.

— A landlord/tenant dispute was reported at 11:22 a.m. Monday by a man from West Fifth Street. He was told it’s a civil matter.

— A man in the 400 block of South Broadway Avenue reported at 9:36 a.m. Monday that the mirror on his vehicle was broken off.

— A drive-off was reported at Smith Oil on East State Street at 9:14 a.m. Monday. The owner of the vehicle was located and was told by police to respond back to the gas station about the payment. He said he would go right away.


— Firefighters responded to a report of a commercial fire alarm at the Fleming House at 2:30 p.m. Monday. No fire was reported.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $4.50/week.

Subscribe Today