— An officer responded to a suspicious vehicle in the 30 block of Main Street at 6:43 p.m. Monday. The owner was identified, but could not be located in the area.

— An officer conducted a well-being check on a West Main Street resident at 12:29 p.m. Tuesday at the request of her husband who was at work. The resident was found to be fine and said that she had just been sleeping and missed her husband’s call.

— An officer responded to a 200 block Walnut Street home early Tuesday morning in reference to an open phone line. A man at the house said the number did not belong to anyone at the residence.


— Police were called at 5:08 a.m. Wednesday to Walmart on East State Street for suspicious activity where several people had been inside the store for a long period of time and seemed to be odd. Officers made contact with two people inside who said they were leaving and bought some items. Another officer made contact with other people inside a vehicle in the parking lot and the vehicle took off. Due to weather conditions, officers called off the vehicle pursuit. The investigation is continuing with pending charges.

— A suspicious person was reported at 12:59 a.m. Wednesday at Dunkin’ Donuts, 855 W. State St., where an employee said a man contacted the business and wanted to enter even though it was closed. He made several odd statements and advised he was at the business. Officers checked the area but did not locate anyone.

— Anthony Smith, 21, of 205 S. Howard Ave., was taken into custody on a warrant for obstruction and charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia after police conducted a warrant check at 12:22 a.m. Wednesday at the South Howard Avenue residence. An officer saw the wanted person run through the residence, officers made entry and located Smith hiding in a closet in an upstairs bedroom. During a search incident to arrest, officers located narcotics along with drug paraphernalia.

— An officer on patrol at 12:18 a.m. Wednesday saw what appeared to be a person looking in a door at a residence in the 200 block of South Howard Avenue. The person told officers it was his friend’s residence and he received a text to come over, but the door was locked when he arrived. He was told to leave due to not being able to reach his friend.

— Police responded to the 200 block of Vine Avenue at 11:57 p.m. Tuesday for a report of a female screaming outside a residence and saw a person walking from the area. Other officers were asked to make contact and identify the person. A tenant at the apartment said the female was trying to get into his residence and yelling but left. The name of the person was provided to officers and it was the person walking. Police spoke to her at the corner of Lincoln and State.

— A woman in the 500 block of North Ellsworth Avenue reported at 9:43 p.m. Tuesday that she let her ex-boyfriend stay and use the shower while she and her roommate went to the store. Once they returned, he was gone and her roommate noticed several of her prescription pills had gone missing. The ex was not answering calls and she didn’t know his location. Officers were going to attempt contact.

— An open burning complaint was reported at 8:48 p.m. Tuesday in the 900 block of Newgarden, with both police and fire department personnel responding. The open burning ordinance was explained, with the homeowner putting out the fire. The male was given his final warning for open burning and was told he would be cited if it happens again.

— Officers assisted Perry Police at 6:46 p.m. Tuesday in the 200 block of Apple Street for a report of a male with a firearm making threats to shoot someone.

— Brian Hutter, 40, of 12919 W. Pine Lake Road, was taken into custody on a warrant for failure to appear on a charge of operating a vehicle under the influence shortly after police were called to a residence in the 1200 block of Southeast Boulevard for a dispute call. He was released to a deputy and taken to jail. A male from the Southeast Boulevard residence dispute had left and a male was seen walking out of a parking lot where the dispute call was being investigated. The male, identified as Hutter, was stopped and was not involved in the dispute, but had an active warrant. For the dispute call at 6:08 p.m., a caller could hear yelling from a neighboring apartment and officers spoke with a female who said she had an argument with the father of her children. He left before police arrived.

— Criminal trespassing was reported at 5:55 p.m. Tuesday at the Salem Public Library on East State Street. The people took off running when police were called and officers were unable to locate them. Security staff said it was a group of juveniles who were shouting profanities. They had previously been told to stay away from the library. Officers will attempt contact.

— A runaway juvenile was reported at 5:55 p.m. Tuesday who never came home after leaving the high school. Officers checked several addresses inside the city. Several hours later, the juvenile returned home and the mother said she was ok.

— A woman reported at 4:54 p.m. Tuesday that she was northbound on South Ellsworth Avenue in the left turn lane waiting to turn left onto East State Street. A semi was turning left onto South Ellsworth from State and she backed up to give the semi more room to make the turn, however, there still wasn’t enough room and the semi scraped along the left front and left side of her vehicle, leaving damage. The semi continued south on South Ellsworth.

— Police responded at 4:23 p.m. Tuesday to Salem Regional Medical Center for an irate patient. Officers assisted with restraining the person.

— A woman who had been walking on South Lundy Avenue turned in items she found in the 900 block at 12:12 p.m. Tuesday. The items were placed in the lost and found.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.50/week.

Subscribe Today