TV scam

A man identifying himself as a Direct TV or Dish Satellite sales representative reportedly went door-to-door in Salineville on Saturday attempting to obtain credit card and other information from residents in order to sign them up for the service. Both companies have informed Salineville police there was no company representatives involved in signing up residents and when someone does sign up the company does not ask for credit card information or other personal identifiers. Anyone who was asked for this information should call credit reporting agencies and the attorney general’s office in order to stop any identity theft.

County Sheriff

— A young man in the area of Crawford Road, Wellsville, reportedly called a VA help hotline and said he was thinking of killing himself at 2:22 a.m. Wednesday. Deputies went to the house and spoke to the 15-year-old boy’s parents, who brought him out to talk to deputies. The boy said he was dared by his friends while talking on a video game chat to call the hotline. Deputies informed the boy this type of prank is not appreciated, warned him about wasting valuable resources and how first responders and others risk their own safety to arrive in time to save someone’s life. The boy seemed to understand the harm in his actions.

— Debra Brown, Main Street, Rogers, reported at 12:02 a.m. Wednesday there were suspicious teenagers prowling around the Rogers park. No one was found.

— A Coffee School Road resident reported her neighbor’s chickens were on her property again at 11:05 a.m. Tuesday.

— Heidi Gallagher was arrested on two outstanding warrants from East Liverpool Municipal Court when she was located on Maple Street Extension in Lisbon on Tuesday. Gallagher gave the name of Tammy White, along with a false date of birth and Social Security number. She was additionally charged with obstructing official business.

— A domestic dispute was reported between a father and a young daughter at a Buck Road address at 5:36 p.m. Tuesday. Jerry Carter had left before deputies arrived, but Cindy Masters and the young daughter were there. The girl told deputies she was not assaulted by her father, but Masters reported Carter had taken her Black 2000 Chevy S-10 and she wanted it returned. Deputies went to the Carter farm on Westville Lake Road. He claimed he paid for the truck, but it was still titled and registered in Masters’ name. He was warned against returning to Masters’ house.


— About 4 a.m. Sunday residents on Foundry Hill and Walnut Ridge Roads reported hearing a vehicle and a loud, dragging sound. In the morning it was discovered at least six mailboxes had been knocked over and destroyed. Vehicle parts were found next to a mailbox. Police believe Nicholas Kempf, 25, Foundry Hill Road, Salineville, was responsible and he was cited on Tuesday with reckless operation and leaving the scene of an accident.


— Police were called to the Family Recovery Center about a possible assault at 12:24 p.m. Monday, with Phillip M. Miller, 43, of Kensington, admitting he grabbed his girlfriend, Malissa J. Smith, 35, of Beach City, and pushed her forearm against her chest. He said they had been arguing because he wanted her to go to rehab with him and she refused. Smith was frightened and had marks all over her. Miller was charged with assault and aggravated menacing.

— Police were called to Stover’s boat repair on East Washington Street at 9:21 p.m. July 5 after the owner saw a car parked in the lot and found a weapon in the glove compartment while trying to determine who might own the vehicle. Police ran the license plates and found the car was reported stolen and the owner was contacted. As for the weapon, it was determined to be a toy gun.

— A hang-up 911 call was received from the home of Amy Dopp and Paul Meyers, East Chestnut Street, at 11:31 a.m. Monday. The couple said they struck each other but they declined to press charges and told police it would not happen again.

— An employee of the CAA homeless shelter on Maple Street reported Paul Grimm was there at 1:17 p.m. Tuesday even though he was banned from the premises. Police arrived and told Grimm to leave and that if he returned he would be charged with trespassing.


— Someone reported anonymously at 7:53 p.m. Tuesday that a rusted World War I era rifle was found in the yard of their relative on Springfield Road. The gun was brought to the police station for disposal. Police were unable to find the serial numbers because of the gun’s rusted condition and all firearms already reported stolen were not a match to the recovered gun.

— A warning letter was sent to the owner of property on the corner of Eldon Court and Beverly Drive at 10:19 a.m. Tuesday for high grass and weeds.

East Palestine

— Jacob Robert Fox, 19, was cited for underage consumption and public intoxication at 1:13 a.m. Tuesday after police responded to a report of a man stumbling over the railroad tracks and onto the North Market Street sidewalk. Police identified the man as Fox and he was given a court date for the charges.

East Liverpool

— After receiving numerous complaints of drug activity at 1641 Pennsylvania Ave., the residence of Ashley Parson, officers decided to conduct a “knock and talk” at the home after reportedly witnessing traffic in and out at the home. While one officer was knocking on the door, another officer reported seeing a hand placing a baggy containing a white substance out an upstairs window. After continued knocking, the hand retrieved the baggy, pulling it back inside, and officers, believing the bag was going to be destroyed, breached the door and entered. The reported finding Lotoya Monteiro, 28, Canal Winchester, and Zechariah Barber, 41, Columbus, in the living room, while Dennis Washington, 43, Columbus, was found in the bathroom, attempting to flush drugs down the toilet. An officer had to deploy his taser in order to stop Washington from flushing the drugs. They seized $211 from Barber and $1,511 from Washington and from inside the residence they seized a drug scale with residue and marijuana, which they reported were in plain sight. Monteiro and Barber were taken into custody on outstanding warrants, with Barber also charged with possession of marijuana. Washington was charged with felony tampering with evidence and obstructing official business.

— Residents complained of an intoxicated female destroying personal property at 234 W. Fourth St. and responding officers were directed to a woman sitting on the neighbor’s porch. Identified as Donna L. Dearth, 51, West Fourth Street, the woman stepped off the porch and stumbled, nearly falling, had slurred speech and smelled strongly of alcohol, according to reports. Neighbors said she had been belligerent with all of them. Dearth was charged with disorderly conduct/intoxication.


— Melissa Welch, Clark Avenue, called to report her 5-year-old daughter missing, saying they were on the porch and she went inside to get her son from the couch, returned outside and the girl was gone. While officers were checking the area, they were advised the child had been found, and Welch reported she found her daughter in the neighbor’s car and the child was fine.


— Police responded to a 900 block West State Street business at 1:58 p.m. Tuesday in reference to an incident the prior day in which a customer complained his milk shake tasted like milk and did not have whipped cream on top. The customer yelled obscenities at workers demanding he pay for the shake and another customer who told him to leave, leading to an altercation. Both customers got in separate vehicles and left.

— Police responded to an 800 block East Fourth Street home at 2:42 p.m. Tuesday where the resident reported receiving a telephone call requesting money for the police department. The resident was advised it was a scam.

— Police responded to a 1600 block South Lincoln Avenue business at 3:40 p.m. Tuesday where the owner said she was dealing with a female customer causing problems and when she returned to the cash register, $1,300 in lottery money was missing from the counter. Surveillance video showed a man had reached over the counter and taken the money while the owner was dealing with the woman.

— Officers responded to an auto sales business in the 100 block of Continental Drive at 4:42 p.m. Tuesday in reference to drug paraphernalia left in a vehicle.

— Linda Fullum, 73, 165 W. Fourth St., was charged with assault after officers went to her home at 4:48 p.m. Tuesday and several witnesses said she had choked a 12-year-old boy, who had scratches and red marks on his neck and ear. On station Fullum reported having chest pains and was taken to SRMC.

— Officers responded to the 500 block of East Fourth Street at 10:52 p.m. Tuesday in reference to an intoxicated man lying on the ground and found he had lost his balance and fallen, but could not get back up because of knee problems. He was assisted to his feet and was able to walk home.

— A patrolling officer at 12:53 a.m. Wednesday observed a man walking across a parking lot in the 2800 block of East State Street with a girl wearing pajamas and no shoes. They said they had been shopping at a nearby store and were returning to their vehicle. The officer followed them to their vehicle and found a male and female inside, but none of the had valid driver’s license so they were provided a courtesy ride home.

— A West Pershing Street resident reported at 2:34 a.m. Wednesday a known male kept calling his phone and then began calling his business phone after he turned off his personal one. The complainant said the man in question had also hacked his social media accounts and was leaving derogatory comments about him on the complainant’s friend’s social media accounts.

— A Franklin Avenue resident reported Wednesday items were stolen from his camper while it was parked in the 400 block of West Pershing Street.

— A New Castle, Pa., resident reported at 3:32 p.m. Wednesday the theft of his firearm from his girlfriend’s 1200 block Southeast Boulevard home.


— The fire department responded to a 1700 block South Lincoln Avenue business at 5:06 p.m. Wednesday in reference to a fire alarm and found a high voltage transformer on a microwave transmitter had been on fire and was still smoking. The power was disconnected and the surrounding area monitored for any other hazards, none of which were found.