×

Halleck discusses future demolition funding for county

LISBON — Columbiana County Commissioner Mike Halleck briefly talked about demolition funds Wednesday, referring to grants coming in the future from the Ohio Building Demolition and Site Revitalization Program.

Columbiana County is expected to receive up to $500,000 of the $42.1 million awarded through the program announced last week by Ohio Governor Mike DeWine and Lt. Governor Jon Husted.

“We are awaiting details,” Halleck said.

He noted that he spoke with county Economic Development Director Tad Herold about the program. The money will be distributed through the Columbiana County Land Reutilization Corporation, commonly known as the land bank.

“We have some properties in mind that we’ve put off because we didn’t have the money,” Halleck said, referring to some along U.S. Route 30 in the Hanoverton/Kensington area that are in bad shape.

He said that will be something to look forward to, having more dilapidated homes torn down. He said more than 200 homes have been taken down through the land bank.

According to a press release issued by the governor’s office, 87 counties will receive grants as part of the first phase of the Ohio Building Demolition and Site Revitalization Program, which funds the demolition of dilapidated commercial and residential structures and revitalization of surrounding properties.

“There are vacant, decaying buildings all over the state that are nothing but eyesores, and it’s time for these structures to go,” DeWine said in the press release. “By investing to tear down these dangerous properties, we’re not only helping to transform the landscape of our communities, but we’re also clearing the way for redevelopment, more jobs, and new opportunities for Ohio residents.”

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.61/week.

Subscribe Today