Fatal fire still under investigation

LACROFT — An early Thursday evening blaze remains under investigation by the State Fire Marshal.

Liverpool Township Fire Chief Dave Ward declined Friday night to release the name of the victim at 612 Ninth Ave., citing uncertainty whether her entire family had been notified. Township fire crews responded around 6 p.m. Thursday to the 600 block of Ninth Avenue for a kitchen fire with entrapment and called for additional tankers and manpower from neighboring departments upon arrival. The three-bedroom, one-bath home owned by June McVay, according to Columbiana County online property records, was engulfed in flames with heavy smoke. Calcutta, Glenmoor and Wellsville provided mutual aid on scene, while East Liverpool city firefighters covered Liverpool Township’s station.

Ward said that a female family member was at the residence when a fire started on the stove in the kitchen. The victim’s daughter reportedly attempted to put out the fire for her mother, who was not mobile, and suffered burns. She ran out of the house and was transported to East Liverpool City Hospital and subsequently a Pittsburgh burn unit for treatment. No information was available about the daughter’s condition Friday night, according to Ward.

Although the Columbiana County coroner was called to the scene, no autopsy will be done on the elderly fatality victim due to her advanced age.

The State Fire Marshal also responded to the scene Thursday night due to it being a fatality.

Ward described the home, which was valued at $44,100 by the auditor’s office, as “a total loss.”

Stephanie Ujhelyi


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.50/week.

Subscribe Today