×

Salem booms go bust

SALEM — The fireworks display the city had scheduled for Labor Day weekend has been canceled, Mayor John Berlin announced Tuesday.

In a letter to sponsors dated Monday, he said the city was thanking them for their donation to the 2020 fireworks display but “unfortunately, due to COVID-19 and the continuing recommendations from the Ohio Department of Health regarding restricting gatherings to less than 10 people, we will reluctantly have to cancel the celebration this year which was scheduled for Labor Day weekend.”

Donors will have the option of receiving a refund or allowing the city to keep the money towards next year’s fireworks display for the Fourth of July celebration.

Donors were being asked to indicate which option they wanted and to return the letter to Salem City Hall, 231 S. Broadway, Salem, Ohio 44460. They can also email the form to secretary@cityofsalemohio.org or fax it to 330-337-0937.

The letter said if no response is received, the city will consider that an indication to keep the donation for next year’s event.

Berlin said the city had checked with the health department before making the decision to cancel. He also noted that the city was still restricting people from entering city hall. With the exception of the tax office, some offices in city hall are available by appointment. He said all are available by phone at 330-332-4241.

“We’re doing our best,” he said.

The fireworks display had already been postponed once from its regular date of July 3 in hopes that things would be better in early September. Now its cancelled until 2021.

mgreier@salemnews.net

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today