×

Salem still planning Labor Day fireworks

SALEM — During his report to city council Tuesday night, Mayor John Berlin said he wanted to reassure the residents that the city still plans to hold a fireworks display on Friday of Labor Day weekend.

The date is Sept. 4. The cost is $9,000 and routinely covered by donations, with Berlin announcing that donations will be accepted for this year’s fireworks. Donors should write the check to City of Salem and note city fireworks on the memo line, then mail the check to the Salem Mayor’s Office, 231 S. Broadway Ave., Salem, Ohio 44460.

The fireworks display is normally held on July 3 every year, but this year’s event was postponed like many other events due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In other business, Berlin thanked Tim Weingart for his service on the Salem Utilities Commission and appointed city Service/Safety Director Ken Kenst to temporarily replace him until a permanent replacement can be chosen.

Weingart resigned at the end of the last commission meeting because he and his wife are relocating out of state. Kenst has served previously on an interim basis on the commission. The next commission meeting is 4 p.m. July 16 in city hall council chambers, with social distancing observed.

A brief update was given on the EuroGyro building repair project, regarding the roof possibly needing to be removed and replaced instead of just repaired as originally planned. Kenst said when work commences again, part of West State Street and North Ellsworth Avenue will have to close again.

The project remains at a standstill for now. Fire Chief Scott Mason told council the insurer for the building, which is privately-owned, recommended replacing the roof, which could require new state-approved plans and further delay completion.

Mason said the contractor apologized and did not know the insurance company was going to get involved and change the plans. If the plans stay the way they are now, for repairs, then the job could be done in three to four weeks after it resumes, Mason said he was told. The restaurant and building have been shut down since November when structural issues were found.

mgreier@salemnews.net

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS