×

Lisbon: McKinley students to eat free

LISBON — Every student at McKinley Elementary School will be able to eat for free at school after enough households qualified for all to benefit under the federal reimbursement program.

The school board learned about this at Thursday’s meeting from representatives with Nutrition Inc., the company hired to operate the district’s cafeteria system. They said a recent income survey determined 48 percent of the households of students at McKinley qualified for free school breakfasts and lunches, and only 40 percent is needed for most of the students to benefit, regardless of financial circumstances.

At 48 percent, McKinley qualifies for the federal free and reduced school meal program to cover costs for up to 78 percent of students. Superintendent Joseph Siefke said the district will pay the remaining 22 percent so all students will benefit, and he said they have enough of a balance in the cafeteria fund to cover that.

The percentage at the junior/senior high school was 35 percent, short of the 40 percent needed to qualify. Siefke said the parents of those income-eligible households can still qualify on an individual basis by filling out the necessary forms.

In other action, athletic director Kyle Bing reported Poland High School was replacing its field turf and they agreed to give them some strips they intend to use for placement along the sidelines where football players and coaches stand. He said Robin Houlette hauled the strips to Lisbon for free.

The board:

— Had no objections to letting Columbiana County Common Pleas Court judges use the school auditorium to hold jury trials should the need arise between now and the start of school on Aug. 24. Siefke said the judges approached him because the juror boxes at the courthouse were not large enough to provide social distancing because of the coronavirus, nor were the juror rooms.

— Renewed the following contracts for three more years: junior-senior high school principal Keith Edenfield, technology director Adam Fill and maintenance supervisor Edward Duko, with the trio receiving automatic pay raises per the administrative step salary plan.

— Accepted the resignations of full-time custodians Scott Shoaff and Amy Dyke.

— Contracted with North Star Critical Care to provide ambulance services for the upcoming football seasons. North Star is providing the service for free.

— Accepted the resignation of CBI instructor and former football coach Alan Mikovich. He has accepted a job as an assistant principal and athletic director with the Western Reserve School District.

— Issued the following coaching contracts: Maddie Wrask, head volleyball, and Kenadee Pezzano, assistant; Tiffany Donahue, eighth grade volleyball; Dana Blackburn, seventh grade volleyball; Nikol Mundy, cross country, and Meredith Deichler, assistant; Ryan Snyder, golf and varsity girls basketball; Missy Andric, varsity cheerleading, and Pamela Bricker, assistant; Chris Huckshold, boys varsity basketball, and Quinn Puskar, assistant; Rich Joy, Charles Bell, Artie Altomare, Jordan Wrask and Danny Donohue, assistant varsity football; Kyle Bing and Jon Burnell, junior high football.

tgiambroni@mojonews.com

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today