West Point family escapes explosion, fire
WEST POINT — A mother and her two adult children escaped with their lives after an early morning explosion Wednesday set fire to their state Route 518 home.
.West Point Fire Chief Wayne Chamberlain said they were called at 3 a.m. about a fire at the home of Laura Brown, 40555 state Route 518.
Brown could not sleep and was outside working in her greenhouse when she heard an explosion and then saw that her house was on fire. Brown ran to the house to get her two children, ages 20 and 21, and they escaped without injury. Two of the three dogs also made it out, but one perished in the fire.
The home was heated by an underground propane tank, and Chamberlain suspects there must have been a line leak within the house. The resulting explosion blew off the overhead garage door and the upstairs patio door as well.
He said they were only able to get the fire under control after turning off the propane.
“I don’t know what else could have caused that kind of an explosion,” he said.
The home was destroyed but is insured.
The West Point Fire Department responded with seven firefighters, and the Lisbon and Glenmoor fire departments also sent firefighters and trucks to the scene. The Highlandtown Fire Department remained on standby should West Point be called to another fire.