Beloit man involved in police chase bound over to grand jury

LISBON — A Beloit man arrested in April on felony theft warrants following a police chase through Salem waived his right to a preliminary hearing on Monday and had his case bound over to the county grand jury.

Kevin E. Wasmire, 46, appeared before Judge Timothy McNicol in county Municipal Court on the charges of driving under license forfeiture suspension, failure to comply and receiving stolen property from the April 22 incident.

He was committed to the county jail after failing to post the $10,000 cash or surety bond.

According to court documents, Perry Township police ran a license plate check on a blue Dodge Ram truck on April 22 after seeing it back out of a driveway on West Pidgeon Road and the vehicle came back as stolen.

Police followed the vehicle after it fled south on the bypass and later found it abandoned behind Homestead Pools and Spas on East Pidgeon Road.

Perry Township Police Chief Mike Emigh found Wasmire walking in the area of Depot and Snyder roads and the vehicle was towed and secured until it could be processed by the Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

It was reported back in April that Wasmire was wanted on active felony warrants in the city of Canton and Lorain County, according to the Perry Township police report.

At that time Emigh said the warrant from Lorain County was for drug possession and the warrant out of Canton was for receiving stolen property, and that the Dodge Ram truck was reported stolen from Canton the week before.

In other matters, an East Liverpool man also waived his right to a preliminary hearing and had his case bound over to the grand jury.

Dacious Coles, 23, entered no plea to a charge of having weapons while under disability and pleaded not guilty to charges of failure to comply, resisting arrest and obstructing official business when he appeared before Judge Mark Frost.

According to court documents, Wellsville police initiated a traffic stop on a blue Chevy Sedan on June 6 and noticed a smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle.

When police asked the driver and front seat passenger about the smell, the front seat passenger, identified as Coles, exited the vehicle and fled on foot.

Police chased Coles to Lewis Alley where he was taken to the ground and he fought with police while they attempted to place him under arrest.

According to the police affidavit filed with the court, the resident of a home on the corner of 16th and Commerce streets reported that he saw Coles lay a gun down in his yard next to his garage.