LISBON - The school board canceled a contract with a maintenance service company that was hired a year ago following the retirement of maintenance supervisor Jeff Tice.
Superintendent Don Thompson recommended the contract with Facility Maintenance Systems of Irwin, Pa., be terminated because they were unable to find any other districts to share the company's services as a way to save money.
"It was a one-year experiment that unfortunately has not worked out," he said.
When the board contracted with the company last July for $70,120 ($6,000 more than Tice's total compensation), it was with the understanding another school district would be sought to share the services and costs. At the time, the district was in a bit of bind since it did not have an immediate replacement for Tice.
Thompson said neither he or the company were able to find another district interested in sharing the services, leaving Lisbon to absorb the entire cost. He indicated they will be exploring their options before deciding what to do next.
In other action, the board agreed to purchase the NaviGate Prepared Program by Lauren Innovations for $3,000 to enhance the district's school safety program. The company's website described it as an emergency response system that uses advance web-based technology to provide first responders with immediate visual access to critical information they would need in responding to an emergency at the school, information such as maps, floor plans, emergency protocol, call lists and live video feeds.
Thompson recommended they incorporate the program into their school safety program.
The board also approved the following personnel moves:
- Hired Judy Aubele as a substitute school nurse for $100 per day and granted a medical leave of absence to custodian Jeff Keyes.
- Issued one-year contracts to the following people, based on the continued availability of federal and state funding: Patricia Boyd, Elaine DeSellem and Lou Thompson as instructional aides, Dawn Dunn as preschool aide, and Katherine Callahan as nurse's aide.
- Issued two-year contracts to bus driver Rhett Gable and part-time food service workers Beth Helman and Terry Witherow.
- Issued continuing contracts to secretary Lisa McCoy, bus driver Jerry Cusick, and part-time food service workers Heather Gallo and Lori Stouffer.
- Issued one-year contracts to elementary school teacher Amanda Adkins and guidance counselor Melody Allison.
-Issued three-year contracts to the following teachers and intervention specialists: Jessica Garrod, Matt Guarnieri, David Guy, Becky McCullough, Susan Sterling, Heidi Swift, Meredith Deichler, Cara Nyardy, Mary Matthews, Lindsay Sechrist and Thomas Zeck.
- Issued continuing contracts to the following teachers and intervention specialists: Lindsey Roush, Candace Fourier, Christine Chludzinski, and Lisa Baker.