CALCUTTA - An early morning attic fire Friday at 48878 Bloomfield Road caused extensive damage, despite a quick stop by firefighters from three departments.
The alarm was raised at 3:26 a.m., bringing Calcutta, Glenmoor and Liverpool Township fire departments to the scene.
The home is owned by Chris Parsons and was occupied by Rebecca Buckel and Jeff Hager, who were home at the time, along with another adult and a child. All escaped safely, and St. Clair Township Patrolman Lacey Barker was commended by fire officials for advising them quickly that everyone was out of the home prior to their arrival.
Calcutta fire Chief Scott Smith said it is almost certain an electrical short caused the blaze since there was nothing else in the attic, which he said was "burned up pretty well."
Firefighters managed to stop the fire from spreading, but Smith said the attic contained blown-in insulation which became heavy from the weight of the water used to fight the fire.
"It actually collapsed into the house," Smith explained, saying there was no fire in the home itself, but it sustained extensive water damage.
Although Smith said he believes the occupants will be able to salvage "a good bit" of their belongings from the house, the structure itself is extensively damaged. He had not ascertained as of Friday evening whether the structure or contents were insured.
The Red Cross arrived on the scene and was providing assistance to the occupants, Smith said.
Firefighters remained on the scene until 6:17 a.m.