Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Mojo the Rooster | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

City battles another blaze in a vacant home

September 25, 2012
Morning Journal News

EAST LIVERPOOL - Firefighters battled yet another blaze in a vacant home Monday afternoon on Maine Boulevard, and police were questioning some children.

Fire Chief Bill Jones said the house was fully involved by the time the department arrived on the scene just three minutes after receiving the call.

The small house was located down over an embankment, and Jones said the owner was not yet known as of Monday afternoon but said it had been vacant awhile.

Article Photos

Firefighters from the EL Fire Department worked to douse the smoldering remains of a vacant house on Maine Boulevard on Monday afternoon. The cause of the blaze remains under investigation. (Photo by Richard Sberna)?

He said police were questioning some children seen in the area just before the fire was noticed.

Firefighters blocked Maine Boulevard as they fought the blaze from up above with a heavy stream of water from a pumper as well as with hoses from a hydrant tapped down the street from the house.

The department had a busy weekend prior to Monday, responding at 6 a.m. Saturday to a structure fire on Harvey Avenue where they found flames shooting from an upstairs window.

A third alarm was called to fight the blaze, which extended across the attic into the east side walls of the home.

They made entry and found fire in the upstairs bathroom and smoke throughout the home owned by Ron Buzzard. All occupants were already out of the home when firefighters arrived, but a hamster perished from smoke and heat exposure.

The fire did not appear to be suspicious but remains under investigation, with no cause determined at this point.

The house sustained heavy fire damage to the bathroom and heavy smoke damage to the entire upstairs, with moderate water damage to the downstairs area.

Early Saturday afternoon, the department was called to Garfield Street for a man who had been taking down an antenna that struck a power line. He was shocked and a line was knocked down into the yard.

Firefighters stood by until AEP arrived on the scene to remove the live wire. There was no report of medical treatment for the victim.

A few hours later, the department responded to a structure fire in a vacant house on Anderson Boulevard which ultimately turned out to be in the Liverpool Township Fire Department's jurisdiction.

Jones said that, with the recent annexation of land in that area into the city, it was not immediately known whether the house was in the city or township, and the department tapped a hydrant and was prepared to battle the blaze when the township department arrived on the scene.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web