GLENMOOR - Despite a rapid response by three local fire departments, a fire Friday morning destroyed the home of Russ Rounds, 16452 state Route 267.
According to officer in charge, Deputy Chief Bill Bennett, Rounds and his girlfriend had left the home about 8 a.m., having set off bug bombs inside.
At 10:12 a.m., the fire department was alerted to the blaze, with the first truck leaving the Glenmoor station at 10:15 and arriving at the scene three minutes later.
When firefighters arrived, they found fire shooting from the bathroom window and in the living room, according to Bennett, who said he has a possible theory on a cause he was not prepared to report at this time.
Bennett initially thought the bug bombs may have exploded from a spark but determined they were not the cause of the fire, noting the two-hour lapse between the time the home owners left and the blaze was reported.
There is no reason to believe the fire was suspicious in nature, he emphasized.
Bennett said the blaze appeared to have started in the bathroom, saying the entire one-story home suffered severe heat damage, with the rear portion suffering considerable smoke damage.
"There's not a lot salvageable," Bennett said, noting the couple's fish "didn't fare well" inside the burning home.
"We got a good knock-down on it," according to Bennett, who said firefighters encountered scorching heat as they approached the home, and Liverpool Township firefighters quickly tapped a nearby hydrant to douse the blaze.
"That fire burned slow," he said.
The home is insured, and the area Red Cross was notified to assist the couple, Bennett reported.
In addition to Glenmoor and Liverpool Township, Calcutta also was on the scene, while Wellsville Fire Department went to Liverpool Township's station to stand by.
Firefighters were back in service at 2:41 p.m.