Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Mojo the Rooster | Home RSS
 
 
 

Stay safe while you stay warm this winter

November 22, 2009
Morning Journal News

The warm weather of the past week will surely come to an end as Thanksgiving approaches.

Furnaces and fireplaces have been used so far this season on a limited basis, but as the cold weather approaches, furnaces and fireplaces will be called upon to provide heat on a daily basis.

The use of winter heating devices also increases the risks of fire and carbon-monoxide poisoning.

The Ohio Fire Marshal's office reported eight people died and 34 were injured in 557 heating-related fires in homes throughout Ohio in 2008.

Home heating fires are often caused by human error, particularly through the misuse of portable heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces.

It is important this time of year to make sure home heating systems have been inspected by a qualified professional. Furnaces, fireplaces, wood stoves and chimneys should be inspected and cleaned prior to the start of every heating season.

Other sources of heat, such as portable electric and kerosene heaters and wood burning stoves, must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions. And remember, the most important rule about space heaters is space. The Ohio Fire Marshal recommends space heaters be placed at least 3 feet from anything that can burn.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless deadly gas produced by fuel-burning equipment, such as furnaces, wood stoves, fireplaces and kerosene heaters. Residents with at least one of these should install a carbon monoxide detector near sleeping areas.

Many heating related fires occur when a heating unit is left unattended during the night or with a child or family pet is present.

Space heaters can provide additional warmth in a room but such heaters can be extremely dangerous. Never leave a space heater plugged in when not in use, and check electrical cords on a regular basis and discontinue use if the cord is damaged. Never use an extension cord with a space heater since the electrical draw could melt the cord and pose a fire danger.

Fireplaces can provide aesthetic charm to a home and additional heating but also can be dangerous. Make sure to use a screen to prevent the escape of sparks, which can ignite nearby objects, and burn only dry, seasoned wood and properly dispose of cooled ashes. Also, never leave a fireplace unattended, especially at night.

The safest items to have in a home anytime of the year are working smoke detectors. Also, plan and practice fire escape routes with the entire family.

Winter is about to set in and we all need to be prepared so we can stay warm and safe this season.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web