Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Mojo the Rooster | Home RSS
 
 
 

Glenmoor area home destroyed by fire

March 4, 2009
By JO ANN BOBBY-GILBERT Staff Writer

GLENMOOR - A fire of unknown origin destroyed a modular home just inside the St. Clair Township line late Monday night, leaving a family homeless.

According to Glenmoor fire Chief Rich Griffin, the home owned by Liz Huburik, 15690 state Route 267 was fully involved when firefighters arrived on the scene.

Griffin was uncertain who reported the fire, but said a call apparently came into the 911 center in East Liverpool about 11:40 p.m.

"We were out the door within minutes. I don't think anyone knew it was burning because no one was home," Griffin said.

A long, rutted driveway, lack of hydrants and freezing temperatures hampered firefighters in battling the blaze, with Griffin saying smaller trucks had to be used to maneuver the driveway, forcing firefighters to use engines along with pumpers to get water to the blaze.

A drop supply line snaked along the driveway was fed from tankers sitting on the road, which were, in turn, refilled from a hydrant on Yeager Drive. The low temperature caused lines to freeze, and firefighters ended up coated in ice.

"The weather caused us a lot of trouble," Griffin said.

The home was not insured, and Griffin said the family lost everything. He said the Red Cross was notified and was assisting the family Monday night.

Firefighters from Calcutta, Liverpool Township and West Point responded with Glenmoor, and Wellsville firefighters were on standby at Liverpool Township's LaCroft station.

After clearing the scene at about 2 a.m., firefighters were mopping up at the station when a call came in at 3:18 a.m. of a structure fire at the Columbiana County Memorial Park.

There, a resident reported smelling smoke, and firemen found in the garage portion of the park office a chemical reaction had caused some varnish-type substance to begin smoldering.

"That could have been ugly. It's a good thing (the resident) was home and smelled something," Griffin said.

The fire department made sure the chemicals were removed and smoke was cleared and were back in service at 3:30 a.m.

jgilbert@mojonews.com

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web