St. Clair standoff ends peacefully

Morning Journal/Jo Ann Bobby-Gilbert Handcuffed and surrounded by police officers, Dayne Ours, the suspect in a Saturday morning standoff in St. Clair Township, is placed into a waiting patrol car.

CALCUTTA — A domestic dispute that resulted in an Annesley Road man holding his brother at gunpoint for more than hour was resolved peacefully on Saturday when the armed suspect surrendered to police.

St. Clair Township Police Chief Brian McKenzie said charges of domestic violence, aggravated menacing and unlawful restraint are to be filed against Dayne Ours, who was transported by ambulance to a local hospital for evaluation following the standoff with police.

Ours, 43, lives at 15260 Annesley Road with his older brother Brian. Police received a call from Ours at 10:52 a.m. saying Brian was holding him at gunpoint and would not let him leave, but authorities soon learned the opposite was true.

“We established that Dayne was the actual suspect and Brian was the victim,” said McKenzie, who responded to the scene along with five officers.

Police could see the brothers through a kitchen window and that Dayne was armed with what was later identified as a 9-mm handgun. An officer spoke to Dayne through a door and told him to surrender but he refused, which is when McKenzie activated the Columbiana County Special Response Team.

Also assisting were officers from the East Liverpool and Liverpool Township police departments, who helped establish a perimeter around the house. Troopers from the Ohio Highway Patrol also arrived and closed the section of Annesley Road in front of the home.

Meanwhile, a third Ours brother showed up at the scene and told police he had been held a gunpoint too by Dayne, who eventually let him leave.

“I don’t think the beef was with him. It was with the other brother, but he went there to defuse it,” McKenzie said of the third brother,

Detective Jeff Haugh from the county sheriff’s office arrived. Haugh, a trained hostage negotiator, was able to reach both brothers via their cellphones, and “he was able to get Dayne to open the door and surrender peacefully” at 12:05 p.m., McKenzie said.

The gun was left behind in the kitchen and found to be loaded.

Dayne cooperated with police. “He never made any threats to officers” or caused any problems, McKenzie said.

He declined to get into specifics about what my have triggered the incident, other than to say that Dayne has a “history of issues that are ongoing.”