Doc killed in shooting was Springfield grad

MASSILLON — A Massillon doctor shot and killed while walking to his car on Monday had possibly dated the same woman as his killer at one time, according to various news reports.

According to reports from both the Journal’s new partner, WKBN 27 First News, and the Associated Press, Dr. George Seese, 59, had just left the Affinity Medical Center in Massillon where he worked when he was possibly confronted and shot by Michael Wood, 50, who then turned the gun on himself.

Wood reportedly parked next to Seese’s vehicle and fired multiple shots at Seese, who died hours after the shooting. Wood was pronounced dead at the scene from a gunshot wound to the head, the Associated Press said.

Seese was a Springfield High School and Youngstown State graduate who went by the nickname “Skip” and has 13 children ranging in age from 5 to 32, WKBN reported.

The Associated Press reported that Seese was the medical director of the Stark Medical Specialties Noninvasive Cardiovascular Lab at the hospital, and also had a medical office.

The shooting resulted in a lockdown of the hospital and nearby school, although police did say there appeared to be no threat to anyone else, WKBN reported.

Other news outlets reported that Seese was rushed inside the hospital for emergency surgery, but he succumbed to his injuries.

According to his professional profile on the U.S. News and World report, Seese had more than 20 years of medical experience and was one of 23 doctors at Affinity Medical Center and one of 26 at Aultman Hospital that specialized in Cardiovascular Disease.

Affinity released a statement on its website on Monday alerting the public to the shooting.

“Though our hospital is designed to be a place of healing, we conduct regular drills to prepare for events such as today’s unfortunate situation. Our staff throughout the facility quickly responded to this incident by following their training to safeguard patients and visitors to the best of their ability. At this time, patient care continues in our hospital. We thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers at this time,” it said.