No injuries after bricks fall from building

EAST LIVERPOOL – A crowd gathered on Dresden Avenue Saturday after bricks and debris came tumbling down from the upper portion of the Tri-State Supplies building.

Bricks and mortar showered onto the sidewalk at about 5:30 p.m., missing cars parked nearby but damaging the store front portion. However, the damage appeared to be minor, with none of the large glass windows showing so much as a crack.

Police were first on the scene, quickly blocking off the street from the post office to Sixth Street and evacuating the Orioles Club next door.

Dresden Avenue will be closed until the loose portion of the building can be removed and debris cleared from the street and sidewalk.

After firefighters using a ladder truck inspected the building’s roof from above, Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Kreefer called for the area surrounding the building to be roped off with caution tape and instructed the street department to barricade the street on either side of the building.

Tri State Supply is owned by Rick Dieringer and Joey Cilone. The business has insurance which is expected to pay for the clean up of the debris in the street and the removal of the remaining loose bricks of the building’s facade.

According to Kreefer, Mike Pusateri will finish tearing down the structure’s loose facade today in hopes of having Dresden Avenue open to traffic by Monday.

“It’s a busy street – Sunday is a good day for it to come down.” said Kreefer.

One resident speculated that the building was built in the mid 1800s.

No one was injured by the mass of falling debris, but it was obvious to all at the scene that had anyone been below the structure at the time of the collapse, they could have been killed.

Earlier in the day, firefighters responded to a structure fire at 726 Daisy Lane at 3:46 p.m.

The department responded with two fire engines and four firefighters and had the fire under control by 4:08 p.m.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze using a booster line.

According to Kreefer, the fire originated in an outside wall and was caused by over heating of an electrical wire. The fire was confined to the outside wall, however, the interior and exterior wall covering had to be removed to gain access to the fire.

Damage to the structure was minor. The home is a rental property owned by Ronald Caleffi of Pennsylvania. Sara Hilton, another adult and two young children were in the home at the time of the fire. There were no injuries.