Man arrested after alleged meth lab explodes

ALLIANCE – An Alliance man was injured and an apartment building evacuated on Monday morning after an alleged methamphetamine lab may have exploded.

According to Alliance police, Marvin Adkins, 33, South Union Avenue, who lived in apartment No. 2 was later found off Waterloo Road in Atwater with a serious visible injury to his hand and arm, along with minor facial injuries.

Police believe the lab exploded as Adkins attempted to carry it outside when it started sparking. He was also injured when he reportedly dove through a glass window of a door, which he could not open.

Adkins has been charged with illegal manufacture of drugs-methamphetamine, first-degree felony. Additionally, he was charged with possession of chemicals used in the manufacture of methamphetamine, a second-degree felony. Both of those charges are higher degrees of felonies due to the presence of children in the building. Finally, he is charged with a misdemeanor possession drug paraphernalia charge.

The three remaining apartments in the building were evacuated until the Stark County Metro Narcotics Unit and local police could finish decontaminating the scene. The Alliance Fire Department also responded, although the explosion did not start a fire or create much damage to the apartment. However, police said they found an active meth lab and the remnants of a previous meth lab inside the apartment.

After he was treated at Alliance Community Hospital, Adkins was processed and taken to the Stark County Jail with a $100,000 bond. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Wednesday.

The matter remains under investigation, including determining if others were involved. Witnesses told police people had fled from the apartment.