Two arrested after Liverpool pursuit

EAST LIVERPOOL – A pursuit through two jurisdictions by both vehicle and foot kept police officers – including the four-footed kind – busy early Wednesday morning and resulted in two arrests.

A Liverpool Township officer on patrol on Parkway reported at 2 a.m. seeing a vehicle driving left of center several times and initiated a traffic stop.

The vehicle took off at a high rate of speed, traveling up Anderson Boulevard and onto McKinnon and St. Clair avenues in the city. The vehicle continued at more than 80 miles per hour onto state Route 39 into the East End, where it turned onto Water and Globe streets.

There, two people exited the vehicle and fled on foot.

City police officers and St. Clair Township K-9’s team joined the foot search at this point, with canine officer Axel locating James A. Washington, 25, St. Clair Avenue, near a swimming pool on Ward Street.

When patted down, Washington was found to have two cell phones, more than $300 in cash and a room key for the East Liverpool Motor Lodge, according to reports.

Inside the vehicle, officers found two 9mm rounds, one fired and one live.

Meanwhile, officers and Axel continued searching the area, following tracks toward the Virginia Avenue area.

The Liverpool Township officer saw a vehicle turn onto Mapletree Street at a high rate of speed and the driver jump from it, running into a house at 1067 Mapletree Street.

Officers from all three departments converged on the house, where they reported hearing people inside screaming.

They ordered the man seen running out of the house and DaNeil Prentice, 20, was taken into custody. He told officers he ran because he has no driver’s license and didn’t want to be arrested for driving under suspension.

Officers determined he was not involved in the earlier incident, but he was charged with obstructing official business, with driving under suspension charges pending.

Washington was charged with obstructing official business. The second suspect was not located, but Washington told police they had come from Midland, Pa.