3 left homeless after fire
ROGERS – Firefighters from four volunteer departments battled a blaze Monday evening, which destroyed a Rogers home.
Several firefighters at the scene said the home was fully involved when they arrived. The home is located at 46224 Walnut St., which is also state Route 154 and right next to the village park. A passerby reportedly informed the residents inside the house that the small attached shed or garage was on fire.
At one point, it appeared the fire was nearly out, then it erupted again through the roof. Flames shot high above the house and smoke could be seen outside of Rogers.
The home is owned by Vicki Shacklock and reportedly is not insured. Beverly Shell, a captain with the Negley Volunteer Fire Department, said the Red Cross had been called to assist the three people who were living in the home.
Volunteer firefighters from Negley, East Palestine, New Waterford and Lisbon responded to the fire.
Because of the older balloon construction of the home – in which the studs in the frame run from the ground up to the rafters – some firefighters believed they would be staying at the house throughout the night.